Saturday, June 06, 2009

Southern California - Day 1

On April 23, 2009, Liis and I flew into Los Angeles International Airport to begin a four-day Southern California visit. Upon landing, we made our way to Alamo, rented a car and proceeded south to the San Diego area.

We briefly stopped in Rancho La Costa, where I lived from 1977 to 1989, and I took photos of my former home:


Continuing south to La Jolla, we checked into the Empress Hotel in the late afternoon, then took a walk to the La Jolla Cove and the nearby Children’s Pool before dinner:


Much to my surprise, since I last visited the area, a colony of seals has taken possession the Children’s Pool beach. There is an ongoing debate in the community about whether to remove the sea mammals, allowing children to again frolic where many have in the past. The controversy may or may not have been resolved on May 27, 2009, when Superior Court Judge Yuri Hoffman ruled that the seals must go.




No comments: