Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Blue Angels at Seafair 2007

August 4, 2007

I’ve noted elsewhere that Seattle is a city of festivals. A favorite festival for Seattle natives (which I am not) is Seafair, which has been around since the early 1950s. The festival includes a big downtown parade, hydroplane races, a performance by the Blue Angels and much more. The Blue Angels are the United States Navy’s flight demonstration squadron.

Invited by William and Esther Graf, Liis and I spent an afternoon on Lake Washington on the Esther William’s, the Graf’s 53-foot Chris Craft. Photographing the Blue Angels gave me a chance to try out a new Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 vibration reduction lens. The lens met the challenge of shooting speedily moving aircraft, at 200mm, from a boat in motion.

The following are my favorite three Blue Angels’ passes of the day:

Pass 1








Pass 2





Pass 3






No comments: